Southern Style Cornbread Dressing.
Food preparation Southern Style Cornbread Dressing is a fun point, moreover it ends up being extra unique value if you prepare it yourself. By utilizing the complying with 21 ingredients, you can start cooking 10 actions. observe the following section for you to start cooking right away.
Ingredients of Southern Style Cornbread Dressing
- Prepare of Buttermilk cornbread.
- You need 1 cup of corn meal.
- You need 1 cup of all-purpose flour, use rice flour for GF.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- Prepare 2 of eggs lightly beaten.
- Prepare 1 cup of buttermilk.
- It’s 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted.
- You need of Cornbread Stuffing.
- Prepare 1 of 14 oz bag herb season stuffing mix, Pepperidge Farm makes a great one, there are several GF options if you prefer.
- Prepare 2 stick of unsalted butter.
- It’s 2 cup of fine chopped onion.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of chopped celery.
- Prepare 3 clove of minced garlic.
- It’s 5 cup of chicken or turkey stock.
- It’s 5 of eggs lightly beaten.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped fresh sage.
- You need 3 of sprigs thyme, leaves only.
- You need 3 of tablespoons poultry seasoning blend.
- You need 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
Southern Style Cornbread Dressing instructions
- for cornbread, grease a 10" cast iron skillet and place in oven and preheat to 425.
- in large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients for cornbread, in separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients and then combine with dry ingredients. stir until just incorporated.
- pour batter in preheated skillet and smooth to edges, bake until golden but not over dry, about 16 minutes. remove from skillet immediately to completely cool.
- for cornbread dressing, preheat oven to 350. in a LARGE stock pot, crumble cornbread and mix in stuffing mix and stir in poultry seasoning.
- saute onion and celery in one stick of butter until translucent and stir into cornbread mixture.
- melt remaining stick of butter and in a large mixing bowl combine butter, stock, eggs, sage, and thyme.
- add stock mixture to cornbread mixture, stir well to thoroughly combine, season with salt and pepper.
- pour in to a well greased 9 x 13 casserole dish and bake at 350 uncovered until set, about 45 minutes.
- If doing the gluten free version check in early.. It tends to brown faster… Almost had a disaster.