Dal Dhokli. Dal Dhokli is an all-time favourite dish made in Maharashtra and Gujarat, in which strips of wheat flour dough are cooked in a tongue-tickling dal. The traditional Gujarati dal dhokli recipe is quite lengthy. In this dal dhokli recipe, dal is exact same as Gujarati khatti meethi dal.
Dal Dhokli is a traditional Gujarati dish. This recipe consists of spicy whole wheat uncooked roti pieces simmered into dal and cooked to perfection. Dal dhokli has a mild sweet and spicy flavor. Food preparation Dal Dhokli is an enjoyable thing, in addition it ends up being much more unique worth if you prepare it on your own. By utilizing the following 28 active ingredients, you can start cooking 8 actions. observe the following area for you to start cooking quickly.
Ingredients of Dal Dhokli
- Provide 1 cup for Toor Dal (oily preferable).
- It’s 1 tsp of Red chilli powder.
- It’s 1 tsp – jeera Dhana – powder.
- Provide 1/4 tsp for Turmeric powder.
- Provide 1/2 tsp for Garam masala (optional).
- You need 4 – 5 – Kokams (washed and soaked).
- Provide 15 – 20 peanuts roasted (optional).
- Need 3 " 4 – 5 pcs Drumsticks (optional) cut long.
- Need 5 cups of Water dal for.
- Provide 1 to taste for Jaggery approximately tbsp.
- Provide to taste – Sate.
- Give 3 tsps – Ghee or oil.
- Require 1/2 tsp of Mustard seed.
- Need 1/2 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- Need 3 or 4 – 5 Green chillies chillies slit or Red dried / Boria.
- Require 5 – 6 – Curry leaves.
- Give 6 for cloves (optional).
- Require 4 Cinnamon sticks.
- Prepare Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing.
- Require Dhokli.
- You need 1 cup of Wheat flour.
- It’s 1 tsp for Chiili powder.
- It’s 1 tsp – jeera Dhana – powder.
- Provide pinch of Turmeric powder.
- It’s 1 – 2 tbsps Oli.
- Need 1/2 cup of Water as needed approx.
- Provide to taste of Salt.
- You need Wheat flour for rolling.
How to make Dal Dhokli-Strips of whole wheat flour or dhokli cooked in a sweet, tangy spiced dal. Dal Dhokli is a spicy, satisfying, and sumptuous one pot meal made by boiling lightly spiced wheat flour dumplings in a lentil base. Then for a final touch a spicy tempering is added to this cooked dal dhokli. This shortcut dal dhokli takes minutes to make!
Dal Dhokli step by step
- Wash tuvar dal 3-4 times in warm water and then soak the dal in 4 cups of water for 20-30 minutes.Pressure cook the dal up to 3-5 whistles. Then let it cool down..
- While pressure cooker is cooling down you can prepare for the dhokli. Mix all the ingredients of dhokli and knead it to a soft dough and divide it into 6-8 portions and keep it aside till u finish making the dal..
- Whisk the dal to a smooth consistency and add the following: red chilli powder, dhana-jeera powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, kokam, peanuts, drumsticks, jaggery, water, salt & stir it well and let it boil..
- On the other side of the stove temper the Dal step by step. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, once you hear them crackle and the following: cumin seeds, green chillies, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon sticks, hing. Switch off the flame and stir it well before mixing it with the dal..
- After mixing it well let the dal come to a boil and let it simmer on low flame for about 15 minutes after that. You can add remaining 1 cup of water depending on how thick or liquidy you prefer the dal to be. .
- Now you can take the soft dough and roll it into a big thin rotis. If required u can use a little bit of wheat flour to dust the dough to avoid sticking on the platform. .
- With a knife cut the rotis into medium sized square pieces. Add these pieces to the boiling dal one by one otherwise they could coagulate to form one big lump and stir gently. Cover the pot with the lid slightly open. Simmer till they are cooked for about 7-10 minutes. If you like a little tangy flavour you can squeeze a little bit of lemon juice..
- Taste it and garnish it with coriander and serve it hot..
This dal dhokli is actually fantastic and approximately a billion times easier to make than the one you grew up eating. Rajasthani dal dhokli is made with green moong dal and urad dal. Also in Rajasthan this is not made sweet. In Marwari homes mostly this dish is prepared without onions and tomatoes. Dal Dhokli is a vegetarian one pot meal option, apt for a "no onion no garlic" diet, can easily be made oil free and a staple for the ones who follow JAIN diet.