Paruppu keerai masiyal. This Paruppu Keerai Masiyal can be prepared with any type of keerai (greens). Place the chopped keerai in a heavy metal pan. Add jeera, finely chopped tomato, salt, sambar powder and turmeric.
Keerai Dal Masiyal), is a healthy and tasty Stew variety using any greens. Serve with hot steaming rice or rasam rice. Keerai Masiyal translates to "mashed spinach". Cooking Paruppu keerai masiyal is a fun thing, additionally it becomes a lot more unique worth if you cook it on your own. By utilizing the complying with 16 ingredients, you can start cooking 8 steps. observe the adhering to area for you to begin cooking immediately.
Ingredients requirements for Paruppu keerai masiyal
- It’s 1/2 cup masoor dal/split red lentils.
- Need 1 large onion, roughly chopped.
- You need 1 of medium tomato, chopped.
- Require 5 cloves of garlic, peeled.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of haldi/turmeric powder.
- Need 2 dry red chillies (or green chillies).
- Require 4-5 cups for spinach/palak (or any greens you prefer).
- It’s to taste – Salt.
- Prepare For for TEMPERING/SEASONING:.
- Need 2 tbsp – ghee/oil.
- You need 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds.
- Give 1/2 for onion, sliced or chopped.
- Provide 1/2 tsp for mustard seeds.
- Prepare Few of Curry leaves.
- Require 1/2 tsp for Hing/Asafetida powder.
- Prepare 2 dry Red chiles, whole or cut into 2 pieces.
First cook the greens along with other ingredients and mash it. Once the dal is soft add keerai/amaranth leaves and cook till wilted. Traditional Tamilnadu keerai masiyal with parupu (dal). Enjoy this tasty and healthy gravy with rice or chapati.
Paruppu keerai masiyal process
- In a pressure pan, layer washed and drained masoor dal, onions, garlic, chilies, turmeric and tomatoes. Add 1 ½ cups water and give it a good mix..
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Once the pressure drops, open the pan and stir in palak leaves..
- Mix well and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the leaves become soft and are slightly cooked. Stir in salt to taste and while on the stove, mash using a pav bhaji masher until the mixture is pulpy, and the dal and greens have mixed well. You can also blitz with an immersion blender (or regular blender) but I love to see flecks of greens in my curries! Add more water (1/2 to 1 cup) depending upon how thick or thin you want your curry..
- Keep simmering on medium low heat. Meanwhile, make the tempering or seasoning..
- TO MAKE THE SEASONING: Heat oil/ghee in a small saucepan; once hot, add mustard seeds. As soon as the seeds splutter, stir in jeera and onions; sauté on medium heat until the onions are lightly brown. Add the curry leaves, hing and red chilies and fry for a few seconds..
- Add this tempering to the simmering dal..
- Serve hot Paruppu Keerai Masiyal with freshly steamed rice and a vegetable stir fry or even any Indian flat bread like roti, parathas, naan etc.! Enjoy!.
- Notes Instead of masoor dal, you can use toor/split pigeon peas dal or even moong/mung bean dal. Use your favorite green leafy vegetable instead of palak. Adjust spices and consistency of curry according to personal preference.
Though I have prepared this keerai masiyal with arai keerai, you can prepare the same recipe by substituting arai keerai with mulai keerai or siru keerai or spinach or paruppu keerai. Kongunadu Uppu Paruppu is a must at home at least once in a week. If i give daily this dal with ghee my kids have it happily. This dal is no onion and no tomato recipe. Paruppu keerai kulambu / keerai masiyal.