Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!). "This is a Cajun-style gumbo made with a seasoned roux, a classic from the bayous of south Louisiana. I revised the recipe after many Be careful not to burn the roux. If you see black specks in the mixture, start over.
Potato salad is traditionally served as a side dish.oh, and of course, some good, crusty, garlic french bread to sop up the juice. Brown chicken thighs and sausage in a cast iron dutch oven. If you don't have a cast iron dutch oven, just be sure to use a. Cooking Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!) is an enjoyable thing, moreover it comes to be a lot more special worth if you cook it yourself. By utilizing the following 10 ingredients, you can begin cooking 14 steps. observe the complying with area for you to begin cooking instantly.
Composition of Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!)
- Need 1/4 cup for all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1/4 cup – vegetable oil.
- Need 3 stalks for celery.
- You need 1 of green bell pepper.
- Provide 1 – onion.
- Provide 2 lb for White meat chicken.
- Prepare 1 packages smoked sausage.
- Give of salt.
- You need – pepper.
- Require 4 cup water.
Remove and shred meat, and discard bones and skin; stir meat back into gumbo. Chicken and sausage gumbo is a soulful Cajun stew rich with meat, aromatics, and roux. Growing up in Houston, I was no stranger to chicken and sausage gumbo. The city's close proximity to Louisiana's Cajun country insured that I knew plenty of kids with family names such as Boudreaux.
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!) how to cook
- Boil chicken in water until cooked..
- Remove chicken. Save broth from chicken..
- Pull chicken apart into shredded pieces or chunks removing any fat or tendons. Set aside..
- Dice vegetables. Set aside..
- Chop sausage. Set aside..
- In large pot pour in vegetable oil. Heat on medium heat for about 2 minutes..
- Pour flour in with oil and stir. You may need to add a bit more flour. You want it to have the consistency of a thin paste..
- Constantly stir scraping bottom of pot. Do this until roux is very dark. About the color of brown gravy but darker. The stirring and scraping are very important. If you let it sit too long you'll burn the roux..
- Once roux is darkened add your vegetables. Stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes..
- Pour broth from chicken into pot. The roux will look like it's not mixing. Don't worry. As you cook it it will mix in evenly..
- Add chicken and sausage. Add more water if needed to cover all ingredients plus some (real Gumbo is thin and watery, not thick). Probably another 2 or 3 cups..
- Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stirring occasionally..
- Serve over rice..
- Season to taste..
Put chicken pieces in a bowl. Blend salt, peppers, mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika, granulated garlic and file powder. Rub four teaspoons of the mixture over the chicken. Continue adding the roux mixture, half a cup at a time, always stirring rapidly and constantly. Add the smoked sausage and stir.