Cypriot tahini pies with orange flavor. Today we're going to make Cypriot tahini pies. Tahini, sugar and cinnamon is a perfect combination, but the orange zest makes it irresistible! Add remaining sugar, sesame seeds, cinnamon, and orange zest to the tahini.
The addition of sesame seeds makes the pies crunchy, but it is optional. This is a hand pie with layers of dough and sweet filling that melts in your mouth and my personal favorite. Cypriot tahini pies are a much easier to make than honeyed Greek desserts. Cooking Cypriot tahini pies with orange flavor is a fun point, additionally it becomes extra special worth if you cook it on your own. By utilizing the adhering to 10 components, you can begin cooking 12 steps. observe the following area for you to start cooking immediately.
Ingredients – Cypriot tahini pies with orange flavor
- Prepare 250 g – bread flour.
- It’s 250 g all purpose flour.
- Require 1 tsp of salt.
- Provide 300 ml water warm.
- Require 25 g yeast fresh (or 7g dry instant).
- Prepare 300 g – tahini.
- You need 300 g sugar granulated.
- Require 2 tsps cinnamon ground.
- Need zest of an orange.
- It’s 50 g for sesame seeds (optional).
Dip each pie immediately into reserved syrup, coating well on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and let cool. Once cooled completely, they can be stored in an air tight container. In Cyprus these were street food and I remember back when we used to buy tahinopita at school, from street vendors who had a three or four wheeled cart which was Cypriot Traditional Tahinopita is a Lenten or vegan sweet bread, which is very flavourful as it is filled with tahini, sugar and cinnamon.
Cypriot tahini pies with orange flavor steps
- Add about a tsp of the weighed sugar and a little bit of the warm water to the yeast. Mix well..
- In a mixing bowl, sift the two types of flour. Add salt and blend..
- Add the yeast mixture. Start adding water gradually and knead for 15 minutes, until you have a soft dough..
- Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover; place it in a warm spot and let it rise for 45 min..
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Add sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and sesame seeds to the tahini. Mix well..
- Weigh the dough and cut it into 8 equal pieces..
- Take one piece of dough and roll out a small disk, about 15cm/6inches in diameter. Put 2 tbsps of filling in the middle and pinch the edges to seal it..
- Flatten it with your hand, then roll it out until it gets about 15cm/6inches in diameter..
- Roll the sheet into a log about 30cm/12inches long. Cut in half. Stretch each piece to get a little longer..
- Swirl both sides creating two opposite spirals. Fold in half, covering one spiral with the other. This way, you create layers of dough and filling. Flatten it again and put in on a baking tray, covered with parchment paper..
- Repeat the process for the rest of the dough until you have 16 hand-pies in total..
- Bake in a preheated oven, at 200°C/400°F, middle position, for 15 to 17min, till they're golden brown..
Tahinopita (plural tahinopites) is a Cypriot Lenten Bread, filled with tahini, sugar and cinnamon. Koupes – a delious snack in Cyprus, meat filling with herbs coated in cracked wheat, deep fried and served with lemon to squeeze into and over it. A delicious, traditional Cypriot pie gets a make over to suit the home baker. A sweet pastry coil of creamy tahini, honey and almonds. If mixture is too thick (as tahini paste density varies depending on brand), then add ¼ tsp baking soda to the mixture.